Sunday, March 6, 2011

Early Impressions - Pokemon Black Version

The day has finally come...today marks the release of Black and White. I'll post my early impressions here later once I pick up my copy of Black and get a chance to play it. Expect a couple pictures as well.

UPDATE:


I have played up until just past the second Gym, and from what I've experienced so far I am very impressed by Black Version. The menu interface is fantastic, definitely preferable to that of HeartGold/SoulSilver and the fact that there is a shortcut menu activated by the Y button in placed of a registered item is just awesome, you can even register shortcuts for menus. The C-Gear and all of the functionality that it brings is just fantastic, though I don't quite take to the fact that it wants to be online all the time. As for the adventure itself, so far it's the pretty typical Pokemon though I do like where the storyline is going with Team Galaxy.

One negative that I encountered, the first gym was incredibly brutal. He would just buff up his Panpour and then proceed in sweeping my entire team. It took an unusual amount of level-grinding at that level of the game, but after five attempts I was finally able to come out on top. I barely made it through the second Gym Leader as well, though thankfully my Herdier was a martyr for my party and took out her Watchog with a Take Down that took the last of it's health.

I've reached Castelia, and I am speechless at how sheerly immense that the city is. The more dynamic camera really shows itself off here, most impressively when you're cross the Sky Arrow bridge to reach the city.

After seeing it in action, the C-Gear and it's utilization of infrared for Tag Mode is absolutely ingenius. Other games with tag mode features use the DS's wireless capabilities which unfortunately means that you can do nothing while the game is in tag mode. With Black's usage of infrared, tag mode is always on and active (unless of course you choose to turn the C-Gear off) while you're playing. In fact when you come across other people you can tap on their sprite and see where they are in the region. Playing into the constant presence of tag mode are surveys, which allows you to see what game other people around you are playing, which starter they chose, and how long they've been playing. It's absolutely fantastic.

I am absolutely loving the fact that the only Pokemon that you will come across in the Unova region are brand new. Not only does that mean no more pesky Geodudes and Zubats in caves, but also a much greater sense of discovery. I love both the feeling of walking out into a route without the knowledge of what will come next and coming across a Pokemon's name in battle right before it's released and thinking to myself "Who the hell is that?".

I just finished playing through the game earlier, and I am thoroughly impressed by the challenge posed by the Elite Four and the final battles (I won't spil anything). They definitely had me cheering, the final battles especially, when I took down one of their Pokemon. I haven't done much in terms of post-game content yet, though I have made brief visits to the now open Black City and towns in the upper right of Unova. I'm a little underwhelmed by Black City, the camera perspective certainly makes it look big, but it sure doesn't feel big in terms of content (though according to Serebii with repeated visits and battles with it's citizens it will grow). I took the opportunity to go on  the cruise ship that can be seen ported at one of the docks in Castelia, and man am I blown away. I completely ignored the fact that there were trainers aboard to battle, my attention was on watching the scenery from the deck. To see the Sky Arrow bridge and the city in all their glory from a distance is an absolute treat.

As I play through the game expect me to keep recording my thoughts here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...