Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Early Impressions - Downtown Battle Mountain 2 (Dance Gavin Dance)

Thanks to pre-ordering via iTunes, I was able to obtain the album late last night and begin a play-through.  absolutely love what I've heard so far. Sure I was a big fan of Kurt Travis, but there isn't any denying that Johnny Craig is an amazing vocalist. This is evident throughout the entire album, though most notably on Purple Reign. Jon Mess has returned as well, taking back the reigns on the screaming from Will Swan, and he has made a significant improvement, sounding overall more shrill. In terms of instrumentals, they are reminiscent of those of the original DBM, but they have taken the experience and growth that they've acquired (they mostly being Will Swan and Matt Mingus) from the past two albums with Kurt Travis and applied it well. The sound from Happiness even shines through here and there, most notably Spooks.

Though initially hesitant at the spurning of Travis and the re-acceptance of Craig, I couldn't be more happy with what I've heard of this album. I may even go so far as to suggest that this may rank as my all-time favorite DGD album.

I'll post a complete review soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...