Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Google's Chrome OS: Just Un-Natural

So if you haven't heard, yesterday Google revealed several new services, including the Chrome Operating System. It is a completely cloud-based operating system, meaning that you can access it from anywhere without the need of hardware. If hardware is your thing, you can install into a Google notebook.

Here is a demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFeD3qGVsrM

Now, in terms of Google and all of their products being integrated and quickly accessible in one place is a great thought. Logging into the Chrome OS logs you in across all of Google, so log in once and you are done. I love that thought. But that is as far as I'll go.

To me, a cloud-based operating system is completely un-natural. To be completely free and not tied to any hardware...it's difficult for me to wrap my mind around. And then, watching the video, everything is based with the Chrome browser. That makes me incredibly un-comfortable. I do not like the thought of being stuck with one application. Sure, there are web-applications that do the job of true applications, but I just can't stand the thought.

Humans are by nature resistant to change, and I am human after all. Perhaps in time I will get used to and warm to the idea, but for now I am so entrenched in my hardware-based operating system ways, I just cannot comprehend a completely web-based OS. So, for the time being, as far as I am concerned change in technology may keep marching on, but I'm not sure that I want to keep.

3 comments:

  1. I feel that without "Worldwide Wifi" that a cloud based OS is not feasible as main computer for most people. I think it will be interesting to see what combinations and types of computers different people use in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kill it with fire, please kill it. It's an improved iPad but the technology is erroneous and a waste of anyone's money. Society needs to work on advancing technology, and cloud-based OS' are not the future nor will they ever be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cloud was a good idea until Steam. I actually do see applications for this in the future, when network infrastructure will be a lot more ubiquitous and reliable, but even then I'd be too old-fashioned to abandon my hardware.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...